Additional BBC news weblinks covering Bobs death can be found at:-http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/7340733.stmhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7340000/newsid_7340900/7340990.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&news=1&bbcws=1http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/7413417.stm
In January 2010, as part of the Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed!
campaign ITV Granada raised public awareness on the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoninghttp://www.itv.com/granada/the-silent-killer21741/
In November 2010, in conjunction with the National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week
, Bob's girlfriend Vikki Courtman launched a national campaign, "The CO Angels" at the Houses of Parliament in London to help raise the awareness of this killer poison. http://www.co-angels.co.uk/http://www.itv.com/anglia/carbon-monoxide-warning14833/Additional information and guidance on the dangers of carbon monoxide can be found at:-http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htmDownload Department of Health Carbon Monoxide - Are you at risk? leaflet in a number of languagesFurther comments from the Health & Safety Executive (HSE)
UK law prohibits builders, double glazing companies and anyone else from carrying out alterations that have an adverse effect on the safety of any gas installation, for example by restricting the amount of ventilation or enclosing / blocking a flue.
Anyone carrying out work on flues and chimneys should check that they are inspected and tested sufficiently to ensure that they are in a safe condition and working effectively.
The law also requires that only trained, competent installers can work on gas appliances such as boilers, and the only approval currently recognised by HSE is membership of CORGI. If you are having gas work done, always check the installer's CORGI identity card before you let them start work.
HSE strongly advises that gas appliances and/or flues are serviced regularly for safety by a CORGI-registered installer. If you live in tenanted accommodation, your landlord has a legal duty to carry out an annual gas safety check and maintain gas appliances. They must provide you with a copy of the completed gas safety check certificate.
HSE strongly recommends the use of audible carbon monoxide (CO) alarms as a useful back-up precaution but they must not be regarded as a substitute for proper installation and maintenance of gas appliances by a CORGI-registered installer. Before purchasing a CO alarm, always ensure it complies with British Standard EN 50291 and carries a British or European approval mark, such as a Kitemark. CO alarms should be installed, checked and serviced in line with the manufacturer's instructions.
You can be particularly at risk from CO poisoning when you are asleep, because you may not be aware of early CO symptoms until it is too late. Having an audible CO alarm could wake you and save your life.